Friday 9 November 2012

Common Grammatical Errors

Here are some common grammatical mistakes, which people tend to make, most of the times unknowingly:

1) Loose Vs Lose

This one drives a lot of people crazy. Remember this sentence, "If your pants are to loose, you might lose your pants." After remembering the sentence, you will never use these words in the wrong context. 


2) Me, Myself and I


One of the most common causes of grammatical pain is the choice between “me” and “I.” Too often people use “I” when they should use “me,” because since “I” sounds stilted and proper, it must be right, right? Nope.
The easy way to get this one right is to simply remove the other person from the sentence and then do what sounds correct. You would never say “Give I a call,” so you also wouldn't say “Give Chris and I a call.” Don’t be afraid of me.
And whatever you do, don’t punt and say “myself” because you’re not sure whether “me” or “I” is the correct choice. 

3) Improper Use of the Apostrophe:
Basically, you use an apostrophe in two cases:
  • For contractions (don’t for do not)
  • To show possession (Frank’s blog means the blog belongs to Frank)
If still in doubt, leave the apostrophe out. It causes more reader confusion to insert an apostrophe where it doesn't belong than it does to omit one. Plus, you can always plead the typo defense if you leave an apostrophe out, but you look unavoidably dumb when you stick one where it doesn't belong.


Can you spot the error in the above image?
4) i.e. Vs e.g.
Always remember i.e. is way of saying "in other words", and e.g. is simply "for example". 
Simple sentences using these abbreviations:
a) There are many cities in the world, e.g., London, Mumbai, Paris, and Delhi. 
b) Google is the best search engine, i.e. no other search engine is better than Google.

5) Should of, Would of, Could of:
PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS:
I should of gone to the baseball game, and I could of, if Billy would of done his job. 
DO THIS:
I should have gone to the baseball game, and could have, if Billy had done his job.
Why do people make this mistake?
They could’ve, should’ve, would’ve been correct, except that the ending of those contractions is slurred when spoken. This creates something similar to a homophone, i.e., a word that is pronounced the same as another word but differs in meaning, e.g., of, which results in the common grammatical mistake of substituting of for have.
These are five basic grammatical errors that people generally make mistakes in, and we hope you avoid these common errors and improve the way you speak and write in English. 

Also, you can check out our Facebook page for videos, pictures and really cool articles at www.facebook.com/SkoolShop  and follow us on twitter at @Myskoolshop

Brought to you by : www.skoolshop.com/
Come back again tomorrow!








No comments:

Post a Comment